.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Lowering the bar

This comes from the Meet the Press transcript. The speaker is a former official in the Coalition Provisional Authority.

MR. GERECHT: Actually, I'm not terribly worried about this. I mean, one hopes that the Iraqis protect women's social rights as much as possible. It certainly seems clear that in protecting the political rights, there's no discussion of women not having the right to vote. I think it's important to remember that in the year 1900, for example, in the United States, it was a democracy then. In 1900, women did not have the right to vote. If Iraqis could develop a democracy that resembled America in the 1900s, I think we'd all be thrilled. I mean, women's social rights are not critical to the evolution of democracy. We hope they're there. I think they will be there. But I think we need to put this into perspective.

MR. GREGORY: All right. We're going to have to leave it there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home