.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Houston spazzes out about Hurricane Rita

Allright. Down here in Houston, people are starting to get pretty agitated about Hurricane Rita. So despite the fact that Iraq seems to be taking turns(note the plural) for the worse, Karzai has more or less asked the US to stop military activities in Afghanistan, the North Korea "deal" now appears that it isn't, the british have attacked the Iraqi gov't, and a new supreme court nominee coming up, and indictments of Bush admin officials, etc.... etc....,

I'm gonna have to start writing about Hurricane Rita.

Yesterday, the Walmarts ran out of water, there was an announcement on the local news that there would not be anymore until 7AM today. I attribute this to a sudden unexpected buying and expect the folks at walmart to catch up to demand.

Rumors are starting to run here. My friend Stan just called me, I'm gonna do some shopping for him today, to tell me that this thing may come in at a category five. I would expect my shopping trip, pretty much a normal weekday shopping trip to be something pretty unusual. Just called dad, and I'm gonna pick up his camera so I can post some pictures up here.

I'll also put up my hurricane list, later, stuff I need to do, and supplies. I think it might be kind of "slice of life" interesting.

And I also should say, that all this is starting pretty early considering that it is Wednesday AM and Rita is now projected to come ashore Sat noonish.

Anyway, if you want to keep up with my progress, I will write more later.

(One necessary inclusion. I live in Central Houston, about 45-50 miles inland. I will have no storm surge issues, and the winds will be greatly cut down, probably 2 "categories" by the time it gets here. But the real issue here is that if this thing comes in within 50 miles to the west of us, we will probably be without power for a week, which is a pretty big deal.)

More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home