.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Saturday, September 17, 2005

More "notes from Paris"

As I said, a friend just got back from a trip to Paris when the Katrina relief failure was at it's worst, and I, apparently like many others, asked him what the "feel" is over there towards America. Let me say, that I wasn't interested in France particularly, just any first world, literate, non-english speaking country. Pretty much just wanted to see what the opinion was in a country with it's own robust press that didn't just reorganize AP stories.

Here is his response.

Having recently returned from Paris, I could write a broad article on views of the U.S. from elsewhere, but I'm going to focus on what has struck me most: A particular reaction I've repeatedly received here at home to part of my answer to the question: What do they think over there?
I've been amazed at how defensive people become when, in particular, I mention that many folks in the rest of the civilized world no longer have a great deal of faith in our election process. Some of the brightest folks I know, when told this, reacted very defensively, noting that the French system has significant issues, that Florida in 2000 was an aberration, etc., etc. You're missing the boat, folks. I don't care about any of that. Let me dissect may way to the point:
- First, these weren't solely French citizens, but folks from all over the the world who speak French and prefer to be Paris in September than at the U.S. Open.
- Second, I can't see any reason why would one bother to ask what "they" think "over there" unless one assumed "they" might have an opinion. That granted, when folks hear the rest of the world doesn't agree with their own views, I'm stunned that they want to argue with me about the subjective opinions I've relayed. Why?
- Finally, those who claim to disagree with "me," again, don't get it. I'm intentionally making no personal comment about what I think of our election process. I'm simply observing, unscientifically that, almost to a person (I'm guessing about 50 political conversations), those I spoke to from France and elsewhere were individuals who have long considered us a model of democracy and fair elections -- but no longer do so.
That's the rub and the point to be taken here. If you ask why they feel this way (again, no claims being made that this is a scientific poll), most responded that they found it difficult to believe that the American people -- or any free people -- would have legitimately re-elected our current President given all that had transpired during the first term.
Perhaps others can gloss over this point. If I'd heard it from a few on the fringe, I could, too. But this was a consistent message. It doesn't matter whether you like Bush or hate Bush. It doesn't matter if you're for the Iraq war or against it, for or against gay marriage and on and on and on. The view I heard was, and I repeat and paraphrase for simplicity: Most simply cannot believe that any free people would have legitimately re-elected our current President. Those are extremely strong words from the mouths of the educated.
So, believe the rest of the world is filled with idiots and that isolationism remains viable in the modern age. Think that U.S. political, economic and military might gives us an eternal free pass on all things worldly. Think whatever you want. That won't change the fact that almost half the people right here at home and almost all the people everywhere else in the world viewed the re-election of George W. Bush with shock, dismay, disbelief and horror and a creeping sense that something is very rotten in our little State of Denmark.
The point I've been leading up to, my friends, is simply this. Regarding our current leader, either the huge majority of the planet is right -- or a tiny, tiny minority of people, almost all of whom reside in the comfort of the U.S.A., are wrong.
Those who rush to argue with me about foreign opinions I've heard and conveyed honestly make me feel like they're desperately insisting on one thing:
Whatever the throngs may be screaming, the emporer does so have clothes.
You take it from there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home