.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Flashback: VP corruption allegations

Don't know why, just took a trip in the way back machine this morning and came across this.

Checkers - Audio MP3

I come before you tonight as a candidate for the Vice Presidency and as a man whose honesty and integrity has been questioned.

Now, the usual political thing to do when charges are made against you is to either ignore them or to deny them without giving details. I believe we've had enough of that in the United States, particularly with the present Administration in Washington, D.C. To me the office of the Vice Presidency of the United States is a great office, and I feel that the people have got to have confidence in the integrity of the men who run for that office and who might obtain it.

I have a theory, too, that the best and only answer to a smear or to an honest misunderstanding of the facts is to tell the truth. And that's why I am here tonight. I want to tell you my side of the case. I'm sure that you have read the charge, and you've heard it, that I, Senator Nixon, took $18,000 from a group of my supporters.

Now, was that wrong? And let me say that it was wrong. I am saying it, incidentally, that it was wrong, just not illegal, because it isn't a question of whether it was legal or illegal, that isn't enough. The question is, was it morally wrong? I say that it was morally wrong.

By the way, this is just a great site if you're ever looking for mp3 audio of speeches.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home