.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Just wondering about other sites and sources.

Through the Plame investigation, I've wandered outside my usual news sites and found some pretty interesting stuff. I've also come across several other smaller blogs like mine that I really like, and I've been fascinated by some of the articles they have found.

So, I thought I'd ask the question. Beyond the big sites, where do you go looking for ideas and information? What are you favorites? What are your dailies? What are your dark horses?

Please, throw a few at me in the comments to this post. I think it would be broadening.

Here are a few of mine beyond the blogs linked right.

Bigger sites I visit daily. Josh Marshall, Atrios, Americablog, Leftcoaster, Antiwar.

Smaller but still big. Holden. Rising Hegemon.

Kinda small, but an absolute must for national security/foreign policy. Laura Rozen.

And, what has been a great site through the Fitzgerald investigation, Firedoglake.

And finally, from the way out, for references to stories I don't see anywhere else, WRH. (be careful though, he'll sometimes cite messageboard posts as news)

So, what's on your daily list. Give me a couple.

9 Comments:

  • They're almost all linked in my links list, in this order:
    MSM
    Local MSM
    Local blogs
    A couple of bloggers who read spook
    Aggregators
    Media-related
    Eschaton thru TAPPED
    Other blogs

    By Blogger the spook, at 2:31 PM  

  • Also, never miss Dan Froomkin's White House Briefing in the Post.

    By Blogger the spook, at 2:38 PM  

  • Oh, yeah. The Progress Report. Head on over to Think Progress:
    http://www.thinkprogress.org/
    and sign up for their newsletter.

    By Blogger the spook, at 3:12 PM  

  • www.spinwatch.org
    www.schnews.org.uk (out every friday)
    www.corpwatch.org

    By Blogger michael the tubthumper, at 3:49 PM  

  • also, for video stuff.

    www.indybay.org - click on video on right hand corner of screen

    By Blogger michael the tubthumper, at 3:50 PM  

  • I have really enjoyed checking in with this blog daily. Thanks for the good work. You and others have cited many that I visit, but here are the ones I check at least once daily:

    AmericaBlog which is probably my favorite, as it seems to be updated quickly.

    Daily Kos is also right up there, and I generally check the recommended diaries.

    Crooks and Liars is mandatory for video.

    I've come to love Dependable Renegade for the photo hijinx. A needed laugh or two. http://derenegade.blogspot.com/

    Atrios.

    Digby.

    Media Matters.

    Talking Points Memo.

    Huffington Post.

    Raw Story.

    Think Progress.

    And of course CephasWorld!

    By Blogger Cephas, at 6:49 PM  

  • Baghdad Burning: < http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/ > which is written by a woman in Baghdad.

    I was also watching A Star from Mosul: < http://astarfrommosul.blogspot.com/ > for months, written by a young girl in Iraq, but it seems to have disappeared. Hope it comes back.

    And Raed, an Iraqi journalist: < http://raedinthemiddle.blogspot.com/ >

    I also scan Hullabaloo, Digby's blog, which often has some really good stuff, even though some of the pieces are a little too long: < http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/ >

    David Corn is good: < http://www.davidcorn.com/ >

    Two of the very best news sites are Alternet and Huffington Post.

    By Blogger NEWSGUY, at 12:07 AM  

  • http://astarfrommosul.blogspot.com/

    is back! It is written by a high school girl in Baghdad. She is proof that teenagers are no different all over the world. She hopes to go to a university. She is living in a crazy place where she could be shot and killed or blown up by a car bomb, yet she writes almost as if she is sitting at a computer in Cincinnati.

    By Blogger NEWSGUY, at 2:09 AM  

  • Thanks everybody, I've been checking out all the suggestions and I've got to say they're pretty good.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home