.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

On Global Warming, it may already be too late

When looking at the Bush administration's complete disdain for all things climate change, I often wonder why this is. Are they just that corrupt? Do they have some Defense Dept. report somewhere that shows the US comes out far better than our rivals? Or do they think, why worry about the environment when Jesus is coming soon anyway? Or is it that they think it's just too late to stop the natural feedback loops and the effects are already inevitable?

The ocean current that gives western Europe its relatively balmy climate is stuttering, raising fears that it might fail entirely and plunge the continent into a mini ice age.

I haven't really looked too far into the science of this report, so it might be hyped, but because the implications are so serious, I thought I ought to put it up.

I'm posting this for my friend, Grandmaster H, who enjoys all things weather and disaster related. (go ahead and leave a comment H, you can do it anonymously.)

UPDATE: The Guardian has a longer article on the same study. And a BBC piece. And a NYTimes piece. Okay, without doing the homework, I'm guessing this is a pretty sound study, but I still haven't read the original. If I read anything weird in it, I'll update.

4 Comments:

  • It seems to me climate blindness is a symptom of monetarism. The countries / leaders most likely to condemn the obvious, that is climate change, are those most concerned with wealth generation, at least for and by an elite few.
    The reason we don’t argue strongly enough against this phenomenon is that it’s all too easy to be criticised and labeled with as many of those ‘liberal’ kind of pejoratives as they can conjure.
    I don’t mind being called names by the greedy bastards, but it’s hard to be heard in the process.

    By Blogger Cartledge, at 4:19 PM  

  • they will probably come and get me for this one, or maybe its bullshit - i haven't decided. look up chemtrails

    By Blogger michael the tubthumper, at 5:28 PM  

  • Michael,

    my friend H is a huge chemtrails guy. They were really bad here, almost every day, about two years ago, and since then, practically nothing. They just stopped. No idea.

    I don't have an answer on chemtrails/contrails. I never found anybody out there on either side that explained it to my full satisfaction with all the science and math to back it up. The information just isn't clear enough to make a decision. I never found satisfaction on the issue, and then suddenly, they stopped appearing over my house.

    There are alot of topics I find interesting that I don't put up on this blog. I'm really trying to focus on the elements of the end of the American Empire which I believe actually crested sometime in the mid sixties. So my focus here is on foreign policy, corruption, and the economic decay of my country. I believe we've passed the tipping point, and, because of that,foreign policy, corruption, and economic decay are far bigger issues than before because they will determine how we land in the middle of this century.

    Whether the US slides into a role as senior diplomat and trading hub, or so alienates the world that we implode, will be determined largely by the actions taken at this point in our history. The Bush administration is attempting to maintain our top dog status through the use of force which is doomed to eventual failure. What we should be doing is building favorable economic agreements and developing goodwill.

    That's why I'm so hard on this Bush administration. I sincerely believe that their policies are destroying the future of my country. And I'm also fearful because fascism often appears out of fear in failing empires. And never before has there been a true fascist state with the military we now possess. You see where I'm going.

    Sorry, somehow you hit a vein.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 6:06 PM  

  • "It seems to me climate blindness is a symptom of monetarism. The countries / leaders most likely to condemn the obvious, that is climate change, are those most concerned with wealth generation, at least for and by an elite few." -Cartledge

    Sounds like I penned the above quote--touche!

    In lay terms, a group of well-connected men working on a quest of strictly short term, exponential wealth generation with absolutely no regard for the environment or its' inhabitants....and doing so with the cavalier flippancy of a twelve year old boy who tells his Mom, "Why should I quit smoking....by the time I could develop lung cancer 'they' will have a cure....

    The problem is that the proverbial 'they' is Bush and his cronies, and I don't think 'they' have any interest in curing anything....what profit is there in that?? You get my point...and no, you don't want to get me started....just that you are right on track, Cartledge.

    Face it, these guys will all be dead and gone by the time the shit really hits the fan...in the meantime, "Hey, there's George.. Boy, George has a new swelling of confidence...and a happy mistress back at the clubhouse (in Crawford)...Yes sir, George and his crones are "livin' large, and laughin' easy....."

    Now about those Chemtrails....

    Peace,

    Grandmaster H

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home