.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Peter Daou on the media hill in front of the democrats

Peter Daou writes in his Salon column in total what so many bloggers have attacked piece by piece, that the major media have developed a political storyline very favorable to President Bush an unfavorable to Democrats who speak against him.

He doesn't go this far, but I would argue that, although present to some degree since Bush declared as a presidential candidate in 1998, a large part of this storyline was a genuine, if unintentional, response to 9-11. I would argue that there is a natural group response in times of threat to rally around a leader and thus any challenge to that leadership, even if it by other Americans, is framed in a negative light.

Read this, I found it very thought provoking.

2 Comments:

  • It's as good an explanation as any, I suppose. I'm certainly not able to account for it in my own mind. But I can't help having a sneaking suspicion that there's another facet -- the media elite, in particular, seem to be attracted to imperial presidencies while scorning the Jimmy Carters and Bill Clintons who they believe are no better than they are. No matter how liberal they think themselves, they seem suspicious of those who seek to better the lot of the common man and in awe of those leaders who flaunt their wealthy connections and hobnob with the corporate mighty.

    By Blogger Motherlode, at 1:38 AM  

  • I think that's a good point. Plus, I think that if you go to Washington to cover politics, you have an admiration of power. And nobody flexes naked power more than the repubs.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home