.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Press Briefing Tango

It reads like a pretty good press briefing today. The video will be up on the Whitehouse.gov frontpage in the evening, but I usually read it because it's faster if you don't read the McClellan patter. But I may have to check it out today, just to get the visual of this exchange. Looks like it got nasty around the NSA, but I think the real gem comes out of the discussion about Abramoff's White House contacts.

Q Another topic, if you would. Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid and others sent a letter to the President today regarding Abramoff, asking for the President make public any contacts that he had with Abramoff, as well as senior administration officials; and any kind of benefits or access that they may have gained from this connection. ....

Q So would the White House be open to complying with the Democrats' request to go ahead and provide that kind of information, the contacts Abramoff had with senior staff, that type of thing?

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, I've already indicated to you a general description of any contacts that were there.

Q Can you be more specific about the contacts with the senior staff? You said you were going to get back to us on that. Can you give us --

MR. McCLELLAN: I did check. There were a few staff-level meetings. As I indicated there were -- I think I previously indicated that he attended three Hanukkah receptions at the White House. It is actually only two Hanukkah receptions that he attended. ............

Q Who was in the staff meetings?

MR. McCLELLAN: I don't get into discussing staff-level meetings.

Q Why not?

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, if you got something to bring to my attention, Elisabeth, I'll be glad to look into it. If you've got something specific, I'll be glad to take a look into it.

Q Did he meet with Karl Rove, for example?

MR. McCLELLAN: We don't -- we don't ever tend to get into those staff-level meetings.

I think McClellan might've swallowed a filling on that one, eh? There's a testy exchange on this topic a little further down in the briefing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home