.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Picture of the Day - 2

















As it's International Women's Day, I thought I'd ask a question that's been bothering me for a couple months.

Why don't we celebrate these women? Why are the suffragettes forgotten?

Effectively, it was their action which granted the MAJORITY of Americans the right to vote, and, yet, they go completely unrecognized.

No holiday, no "civil war" style reenactments. They tried the Susan B. Anthony Dollar, but really, nothing.

It may have changed, but I remember in history class in school(1984) that this was covered in a half hour, and I was assured it wasn't going to be on the test.

Our selection of what we celebrate reflects upon the values of our contemporary society. For instance, Labor Day has lost all meaning when it was originally established to celebrate the efforts of Labor Groups to end child labor, fight for the 40-hour work week, and establish basic work safety standards.

But as unions are dying and worker rights are fading, and certainly with no significant government or corporate support, we no longer really celebrate Labor Day.

So by ignoring the suffragettes, what does that say about the priorities of our contemporary society?

(Don't worry, I'll get back to current stuff later. This has just been in the back of my mind for months and I thought I'd get it out.)

8 Comments:

  • Agreed, and good post.

    I was particularly bemused when so little was said about the death of Betty Friedan. I mean this woman was responsible for a huge part of the sexual revolutions; she was instrumental in N.O.W.'s creation and was its first president.

    Unsung and tragic.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:39 PM  

  • Same. I had this in my head before that, but when that happened, I was amazed because in alot of ways, she was the mother of the sexual revolution and the women's rights movement, perhaps the largest cultural shift in the last century, and her death didn't get much press at all.

    Not nearly as much as Don Knotts.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 3:58 PM  

  • Thanks for this.

    Why don't we celebrate women's HIStory? Short and not so sweet answer: cuz it's a man's world.

    By Blogger egalia, at 4:00 PM  

  • Very good post... and it's nice to get off the topic du jour once and think a little deeper, isn't it. :)

    A bit of trivia. The 19th Amendment granted sufferage to all Americans regarless of gender. The following states voted AGAINST the amendment:
    - Deleware
    - Maryland
    - Virginia
    - Alabama
    - Florida
    - South Carolina
    - North Carolina
    - Georgia
    - Louisiana
    and rounding out the bottom as usual...
    - Mississippi

    By Blogger -epm, at 4:17 PM  

  • Really nice inclusion -epm. And, yeah, Mississippi was also the last to ratify the amendment outlawing slavery.

    SOMETIME IN THE 1990's.

    I assume you know the Nina Simone song. "Everybody knows about Mississippi, Goddamn."

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 6:46 PM  

  • Agree, nice post. To add to -epm's equally nice response, let's not forget that the ERA sadly failed, as well. As a man, I'm always surprised to find that I am more progressive on women's rights than many women I come across. I guess centuries of cultural training dies hard.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:14 PM  

  • Good point, Bill. I was not politically active during the heyday of the ERA, so I can't see why it didn't pass.

    Of Course, if it were up today, would it pass?

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 8:59 PM  

  • I did some checking. Mississippi later reconsidered its vote on the 19th Amendment and voted for ratification.... in 1984.

    As a man, I'm always surprised to find that I am more progressive on women's rights than many women I come across.

    I'm a father of two girls -- young women, really. I can't see why any father who loves his daughters wouldn't be a feminist. Unless, of course, he has some sort of gender insecurity/identity issues... :)

    By Blogger -epm, at 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home