.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Thursday, April 20, 2006

1 working day without a nuclear security breach

I don't know if you saw this story yesterday, and I haven't done any followup, but the short version is two men drove into a nuclear plant in Pennsylvania to pick up tools, set off a security alarm, were questioned then released, only to be stopped by the state police with $500,000 small bills.

Where the money came from, whether they knew about it, is unimportant. Effectively these guys smuggled a large dufflebag full of cash past the security of a nuclear plant going both in and out. It could've been anything.

UPDATE: dqueue posted a link to this, which highlights many more variations in the story, and also points out the possibility that the $500K in small bills could have been a bribe or nuclear "buy money." No proof for the latter, but an intriguing possibility I left out. Thanks, dqueue.

4 Comments:

  • I suggest taking a look at Jeff Wells, a compelling Canadian blogger. He also links into a sizable thread on DailyKos.

    Good stuff...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 PM  

  • How do you know they had it going in?

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 2:42 AM  

  • What gets me is that they were stopped, searched and discovered by police. during my 10 or so years of driving all over the USA I have only been stopped two or three times and never searched. However, let me add that that is a good thing not something I want to change. It's just a bit suspicious that the police often know exactly who to stop and who to search.

    By Blogger Justin, at 4:37 AM  

  • Good point Praguetwin. I didn't mean to imply that, just sloppy writing on my part.

    Justin, they were stopped because plant security called the cops after letting them go.

    And, thanks, Dqueue, that's a really good link. That's more than I've got. I'll put it up as an update.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home