.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Don't buy anything tomorrow

I will probably not be going to the local immigration rally in Houston, but I will still be doing my little bit by not spending any money. Not spending money tomorrow is a very easy way to show solidarity. (If you're in Houston and inspired, 11AM Memorial Park is the place to start.)

I was talking to a couple guys I know in Houston who are kind of tied into this thing, and their impression is that it's going to be big. I'm not so sure, but I'm hoping it will be. There's a whole bunch of restaurants that are planning to be closed including the whole Taqueria Arandas chain, although I don't know if that's in sympathy or simply because the majority of the customers will not be eating out tomorrow.

Anyway, here's hoping it will be big, and I will be doing my little bit by eating out of the fridge.

(Is it accidental that this is occurring on May Day, the international "worker's holiday" which is celebrated almost everywhere but the US? I assume not, but I haven't seen any connection made in any of the media coverage.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home