.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Monday, April 24, 2006

Just a couple of Quickhits to catchup

First, if you didn't see it, Crooks and Liars has the video of the Drumheller interview up from last night's 60 Minutes. Short version, "The [White House] group that was dealing with preparation for the Iraq war came back and said they were no longer interested. And we said 'Well, what about the intel?' And they said 'Well, this isn't about intel anymore. This is about regime change.' "

In Newsweek's Periscope section, "May 1, 2006 issue - Some neocon activists have urged a sharp increase in U.S. efforts to undermine Tehran and thwart its nuclear ambitions. American Enterprise Institute scholar Michael Ledeen told NEWSWEEK: "The people hate [the regime]. It's a revolution waiting to happen." But U.S. intel agencies strongly disagree, according to six sources familiar with official analyses of Iran who asked not to be identified when discussing sensitive material."

Mick Jagger and George Bush fought over a hotel room, and Jagger won. That's almost enough to get me to listen to a Stones' song written after 1980. Almost.

A dozen physicists, including 5 Nobel laureates, wrote an open letter to Bush asking him to take the nuclear option off the table.

On the excellent CNNI's Your World Today(the best news show on TV) they were interviewing Iraqis in the street about the new government. The quote that caught my ear, "A drowning man will grab anything for hope."

Last, is the energy secretary publicly calling for more security at oil facilities supposed to keep oil prices down? Does it reassure, or does it remind the markets of the threat?

Sorry, I know this is sloppy blogging, but I'm just short of time. More later.

3 Comments:

  • "Stripped," a live Stones album from 1995, is actually pretty good, Mike. The Stones play lots of stuff from the Beggar's Banquet/Let It Bleed/Exile on Main Street era - including "Shine a Light," "The Spider and the Fly," "I'm Free," "Dead Flowers," "Love in Vain," "Sweet Virginia," and a pretty cool cover of "Like a Rolling Stone." If you like Ronnie's steel guitar playing and Mick's hilly billy accent, it's a pretty cool record.

    You're right about the new stuff. I have a lot of the post-1980 albums and they're pretty hit and miss. Though I'd say Tattoo You actually is the last good album. Not as good as Some Girls, but still pretty good.

    I know the comments not on politics, but I couldn't help myself.

    By Blogger Reality-Based Educator, at 4:13 PM  

  • I have no idea, I listen to the Stones from time to time, but I'm not really a fan. I just randomly picked 1980.

    Sorry if I offended, it just struck me as funny. And, you're right, Tattoo is pretty decent album.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 4:46 PM  

  • No offense taken. But if you do like the Stones, check out "Stripped". It's really good and you probably can pick up a used copy on Amazon for just a couple of bucks.

    By Blogger Reality-Based Educator, at 7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home