.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Friday, May 05, 2006

A little more Porter Goss

Here is Larry Johnson's take. Short version, it centers around Wilkes and the hookers. Dusty Foggo was just a good guy who happened to play poker with Brent Wilkes, and was unaware that Wilkes was using the poker suite to run prostitutes. Porter Goss is completely innocent in this scenario, but resigned because of poilitical affiliations.

I don't know if I buy Foggo as innocent bystander. Don't I remember him being involved in getting Wilkes a sweet contract with the CIA? And all the questions about Wilkes getting questionable contracts in the black programs?

And Foggo and Wilkes just happen to be lifelong friends. But, despite appearances, it is possible that Foggo isn't the cause of this sudden resignation. Don't rule out the possibility mentioned in the Ken Silverstein piece, that Goss himself might be the cause.
I've learned from a well-connected source that those under intense scrutiny by the FBI are current and former lawmakers on Defense and Intelligence comittees—including one person who now holds a powerful intelligence post.

And, one more note to dispute the Whitehouse spin that this was planned and was the result of longer term tensions: Olberman tonight mentioned that Bush cut short a scheduled appearance today(photo op) so he could get back to the Whitehouse for the announcement.

Last, Let me offer one other possibility that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. There is the outside possibility that Goss resigned out of protest or ethics. Either he found out something he refused to be a part of, or he was fired for his refusal to do something. I don't think this is true, but it is an outside possibility. Negroponte said jump and Goss said no.

2 Comments:

  • Just a guess. But I almost think that if Goss is out because of Hookergate, it's almost easier on the WH. Otherwise, if it's something else, it's yet another cancer to eat away at this administration.

    Just curious if Republican voters are proud of what their party has managed over the past 6 years.

    By Blogger zen, at 10:36 PM  

  • MAybe that's why I kept "feeling" it must be something else, because subconsciously I knew that.

    Having slept on it, I think I also I wanted someone in this administration to get punished for torture, just something to affirm my belief that its wrong.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home