.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Truthout apologizes. Well, not really.

Mark Ash the editor at Truthout has issued an apology for the Jason Leopold story about the Rove indictment, although reading it, I'm not really clear what he's apologizing for. It reads to me like an apology for the short deadline on a Fitzgerald announcement, but he seems to be standing by the meat of the story, that Rove has already been indicted and that there were plea discussions last Friday at Patton Boggs.

Salon has a bit of an interview with Mark Ash, but it doesn't really say anything other than this apology is simply an effort to buy some time.

I'm still treating this story as possibly true despite the obvious miss on the timeline. I am probably not going to call it as utterly false until either we have the facts of a Fitzgerald press conference, an unsealed indictment, or obvious indications that Fitzgerald has no more interest in Rove.

I know you may disagree, that's fine, but that's how I feel. I'm treating it for now as an open and as yet unresolved issue. Please feel free to comment if you wish, but I've made a promise to myself not to spend too much time getting involved in "the controversy," so I will certainly read them all. But if you're looking for an argument, I probably won't play along on this one.

6 Comments:

  • Maybe Rove sang in exchange for a delayed indictment. Is that even possible?

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 5:12 AM  

  • No argument from me Mike. That's the position I'm taking to although I was hoping Leopold had latched onto a big scoop. He's been pretty reliable but after the letdown at Fitzmas, I'm not willing to get all excited about rumors.

    Still, it's not over until Fitz closes the investigation down. I haven't lost hope yet either.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:26 AM  

  • I would really like to believe that it's true (the idea of a Rove indictment), but I don't think it will turn out to be. Even if he does get indicted, the U.S. Republican administrations have shown no qualms about pardoning people who have been convicted of major crimes, then putting them back into positions of power in the government (like many Regan-era Iran/Contra veterans).

    It's just that perhaps a publicly televised trial could bring to light some issues that have been hidden, and maybe (just maybe!) could change the opinions of the propaganda-believing rightist ill-informed elements of society that still somhow believe all the lies.
    (Freedom, democracy, etc)

    By Blogger misneach, at 1:07 PM  

  • At this point, we just don't know if the Leopold report, with the exception of the inaccurate timeline for an announcement, was accurate or not.

    There are a lot of moving parts in this beyond just Fitzgerald and Rove, so if there were plea talks, it could well involve others, we just don't know.

    This whole story could be bunkum, we'll just have to wait and see. But as I have been reporting on the developments around this reporting, I thought I'd put this up.

    Again, I've spent far too much time worrying about this story and it's specifics, so I don't really want to launch into the whole discussion.

    Misneach, you're right that part of me wants this story to be true, but not only for the Rove indictment , but that it fits with my overall interpretation of where the case currently is and is going.

    If you disagree and think it's crap, I think you're justified in that viewpoint as well.

    And on a Rove pardon, yes, he could continue to work for the Republicans if he was pardoned, but he would have to go into the wilderness for a period first, and it would depend upon the crimes he is indicted for. Elliot Abrams would be a prime example. Convicted, pardoned, and after an 8 year rehab, bacjk in the saddle. It would be a little harder for Rove becuase he wouldn't be levels down, but still, I think you're right in the possibility.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 1:57 PM  

  • I think its time for patience..which is a virtue btw,and I have never been virtuous.. :P

    I refuse to tar and feather Leopold. Give the guy some peace and quiet till more comes down from St.Fitz.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:19 PM  

  • By Blogger chenmeinv0, at 3:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home