.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Picture of the Day















U.S. President George W. Bush jogs with Iraq war double-amputee U.S. Army soldier SSgt Christian Bagge.


The thing that bugs me most about this is the, oh, too obvious nature of it. Huge photo op, second item on the Whitehouse website, AP story, press releases on both PRNewswire and USNewswire, and the unusual step of the event's own 17 picture slideshow on Yahoo, all with one single intended message.

Don't feel bad about Iraq, because they're all fine with their injuries.

Sometimes I wish I believed in Hell.

6 Comments:

  • "See? he's fine! he can still jog! Now hurry up and take his picture, we got to get him some more pain killers."

    By Blogger Lew Scannon, at 10:16 PM  

  • I feel your pain. I had to laugh also when I read..."Sometimes I wish I believed in Hell"...cracked me up!

    By Blogger sumo, at 2:18 AM  

  • It's so intentionally deceptive. And so transparent.

    It just kills me.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 8:27 AM  

  • The hypocrisy of this administration bothers me too. They make a big photo-op out of this man's condition, yet a friend of mine who owns a prosthetic company in Ohio tells me Medicare/Medicaid is increasingly unwilling to pay for artificial limbs for regular citizens (especially for the elderly). He has to fight them tooth and nail for reimbursement even though the limbs are prescribed by doctors.

    He also said the day is soon coming when a person will have to pass a government imposed test, i.e, prove they can walk at least 500 feet with the limb. They don't care that having that artificial limb might make it easier for a person to transfer from the toilet to their wheelchair, etc. The bottom line is saving money - period.

    By Blogger Kathy, at 11:49 AM  

  • That's really amazing.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 1:18 PM  

  • This wouldn't be exploiting the troop(s) for political purposes, would it?

    Naw.

    By Blogger QuakerDave, at 3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home