.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Monday, July 31, 2006

A great read

I'm not sure I agree with everything in it, but Juan Cole has a fascinating, thought provoking post that challenges the inclusion of the Israeli operations in Lebanon in the "war on terror."

Short version, Hezbullah represents a subnationalist independence group rather than a non-geographic Al-Qaeda type structure.

I rarely openly recommend articles, but, just for the perspective, this one is worth your three minutes.

2 Comments:

  • Thanks for the article, I book marked it. Out of curiosity, which part did you not agree with? It seems to confirm things I've read elsewhere.

    By Blogger Lew Scannon, at 6:01 PM  

  • I don't know if I believe the Israeli strategy is to completely depopulate the area. And there's the claim that they levelled Qana, but from the pictures I saw, it was very damaged, but there were still intact buildings. That just seems an extreme expression of what's going on.

    Certainly the Israelis are doing unbelievable damage, but I just don't believe it goes that far.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home