.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Latenight Quickhits

Just stuff I didn't get to today.

I heard this report on NPR this morning and something about it caught me. (They've been doing some very good "day in the life" type stuff on Iraq lately.)
There are volunteers of local Iraqi men who line the river bank in Kadhimiya; they are volunteers on the lookout for the bodies that float downstream and sometimes get caught in the reeds. One man, 18-year-old Ali Ghanem, has been doing this every day since last winter. He's said to be the best swimmer of the group.

The Boston Globe had a piece today on the continued American "logistical support" for the Iraqi forces. Whenever you hear or see the phrase "logistical support," remember that it very often means that the Iraqis cannot supply food or water or gasoline or ammunition to their own forces. Whenever I hear talk of Iraqi "readiness" I think of stories like this.

In Stars and Stripes there is a frightening look at the strength of the resurgent Taleban in southern Afghanistan, massing in large numbers, advancing "within yards of defensive positions," surrounding positions, better armed, better equipped, with more support from locals.

2 Comments:

  • I heard that NPR story on my way to Meeting (church). It made me very sad. It also made me feel some real admiration for those men.

    By Blogger QuakerDave, at 11:28 PM  

  • I went through kindof the same cycle. I also had this curiousity about the psychology of showing up day after day to do that.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home