.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Friday, August 25, 2006

A new appreciation of Gandhi

After watching all the violence lately around occupation, foreign policy, and influence, I have a newfound appreciation for the amazing thing that Gandhi did.

Certainly, the movement against the British in India wasn't bloodless, and there were many other factors within the conflict, but viewed against the actions and tactics of today's anti-imperial / anti-occupation folks, I find myself once again overwhelmed by the beauty of that stubborn little man.

7 Comments:

  • Amen brother.

    By Blogger zen, at 5:47 PM  

  • I don't know why it came to me, but Bin Laden's message as well as that of so many others is so similar, throw the occupiers out and return to local culture.

    And their methods are so different.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 6:23 PM  

  • have you read anything about Abdul Ghaffar Khan? A close follower and friend of Gandhi..unlike Gandhi his followers faced the full force of the British Army.

    By Blogger Zak, at 7:05 PM  

  • No, I haven't. I'm not an expert on the area at all. I know the basic storyline, saw the movie and read some articles and that's about it.

    And I did read a really good book on nonviolent protest many years back with expectedly a large section on Gandhi.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 8:46 PM  

  • What Zen said, ditto.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:03 PM  

  • Amazing how some of the most long-lasting and important revolutions in this century have happened without the use of violence by those who won. Gandhi. Dr. King. Mandella.

    Heart and mind over the fist, knife, and gun. We have to believe it can happen, that's all.

    Good post.

    By Blogger QuakerDave, at 11:08 PM  

  • My wild guess is that, history will not treat Gandhi and Junior with equal admiration.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home