.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Where are the Katrina retrospectives?

I flipped through the channel guide looking for some sort of "special" on TV tonight that would replay that godawful week from a year ago, sort of a video timeline of Katrina, and I really didn't find anything.

According to the listings I saw last night, the cable news shows were still listed (although I'm sure they'll do segments,) and the History Channel, Discovery, National Geographic, etc. really didn't have anything significant listed.

I find this very surprising in comparison to 9-11 (there's a 9-11 special on tonight,) or even the tsunami, which each had significant TV specials on their anniversaries. Both have become staple topics on the "educational" cable channels partially supplanting the Nazis.

I'm sure there will be stuff out there, I'm just surprised by the lack of title shows.

I mean, this was the biggest natural disaster in American history.

(If anybody sees anything good, let me know. I'm not looking for rebuilding or current state; I'm looking for a video montage of that week. I want to remember.)

Later: I found one. ONE. History Channel at 10 PM Central, 11PM Eastern, hosted by the wounded in Iraq Bob Woodruff. Hardly primetime and probably old.

8 Comments:

  • First rule of Bush Club; Don't embarass Bush Club.

    Second rule of Bush Club; Don't talk about Bush Club.

    Third rule of Bush Club; Bush Club is always right, even when they're wrong, they are always right.

    Do you understand the rules of Bush Club?

    Katrina retrospectives could embarass Bush Club.

    By Blogger matt, at 7:24 AM  

  • HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

    Funny, Dude.

    A good point expressed in a way that made me laugh out loud.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 7:49 AM  

  • Brian Williams with Dateline did a special report and follow up last night. He put Bush on the spot when he asked him outright about if the lack of response had anything to do with race.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:37 AM  

  • Man. I'm sorry I missed that.

    I'll check the video sites.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 11:09 AM  

  • Seems to me the crucial Katrina remembrance is Spike Lee's film "When the Levees Broke" which is on HBO tonight. I saw the 3rd hour (of 4) in a benefit showing last week. It is certainly worth looking at if you can.

    By Blogger janinsanfran, at 5:07 PM  

  • Yeah. I don't have HBO. I've heard it's excellent.

    I should look for it on the web. It's out there somewhere.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 5:32 PM  

  • NBC carried a special the other night. They came in last in the ratings against lame competition. Guarantees you won't see many more...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:53 PM  

  • Sad. But like Iraq, nobody wasn't to see the failure.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home