.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Quickhits

(NYPost) Path to 9-11 star Keitel forced major revisions after hiring his own researcher. Tom Kean went to the set, maybe once. And a quote from a network staffer, "there's no way they're not running it."

Al Gore maintains his "not likely, but possible stance" on a presidential bid. I would guess he, like everyone else, is waiting to see if Hillary Clinton decides not to run.

John Ashcroft is cashing in as a "consultant" on some of the programs and projects he put in place around homeland security. Tom Ridge, too.

Both Condi Rice and Richard Bruce Cheney were asked directly about the SSCI Phase II report which said there were absolutely no Saddam/Al Qaeda connections. They both played semantics and stated that there was a connection.

And, I did an Afghanistan catchall that turned out kind of long, so I'm going to back archive it(follow this link.) Short version, the violence is in the south, east, and north creeping toward Kabul. The Taleban forces are big enough to take hundreds of casualties and still fight stand up territorial battles. John Kerry is calling for more troops.

6 Comments:

  • Send your kids over there, John Kerry.

    By Blogger Lew Scannon, at 6:59 PM  

  • re: possible Gore run.

    I think you only get one shot at running for pres once you've been the party's nominee. After that, you're yesterday's news. The looser. If the dems take the White House it will be with a fresh new candidate. And I don't mean Hillary.

    By Blogger -epm, at 8:16 PM  

  • Mark Warner/Wes Clark '08

    By Blogger zen, at 9:18 PM  

  • Lew, I do still favor "the good war" in Afghanistan if we're really fighting the Al Qaeda folks. The problem is that their source is all from Pakistan and if we can't get in there, the best we're doing is stability operations. If that border keeps US troops from trying to capture kill Al Qaeda, we either need to violate that border or abandon the mission.

    EPM, but who? Don't tell me governor weird eyebrows. John Edwards? I like Feingold, but I don't know if he can win. Obama? Who?

    (Oh, and there's still some question whether Gore actually lost, eh?) I'm a Gore guy, so I'm biased on this one.

    I'm one of the few people who is broadly ambivalent about Hillary Clinton and I have questions whether she could win the national election, but I do think she would make a GREAT president. She's smart, capable, very shrewd, well versed in all aspects of Washington politics. She has the people around her already and a pretty good well. Good international contacts. On probable competence, she scores higher than any candidate I can remember.

    My only issue is can she win....

    Zen, The only exposure I have with Warner was with that weird awkard rebuttal to the president's state of the union, and it really rubbed me the wrong way. ("We can do better.") Clark I like alot though. He seems a little hot headed, but he seems wicked smart and capable. And that's what I want in a president. (That's also why I hate Bush.)

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 9:26 PM  

  • Regarding Hilary...
    I think she is well capable. But I fear what it says about democracy in the US if for the past quarter of a century presidential power is held by only 2 families.

    By Blogger zen, at 1:59 PM  

  • That's a REALLY good point. The two royal families competing for influence.....

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home