.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Harold Ford in trouble

This is the environment Ford is running in. (This opinion is so unshocking that this guy was willing to be attributed, and he's pro-Ford.)
"Oh, sure, there's some prejudice," Layne said as he contemplated casting a ballot for a black man. "I wouldn't want my daughter marrying one." But he's more concerned about rising medical costs: When it comes to voting, "you gotta look at the person, not the color."


Kind of explains that ad, doesn't it?

3 Comments:

  • While there's been some national attention on this, the race baiting seems so patently obvious in this situation that I'm surprised there hasn't been more. See the "Fancy Ford" website (www.fancyford.com). The hook of the GOP campaign seems to be not just miscegenation, but more broadly a sexual deviancy that symbolic of an outsider status. (See my discussionhere)

    ---
    le-enfant-terrible.blogspot.com

    By Blogger mephi, at 1:36 PM  

  • I agree that the race baiting has been growing.

    The one that actually caught me were the accusations that the RNC was actually darkening photographs in ads to make him look more black.

    http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1548892,00.html

    But even beyond the efforts, there is an environment that makes this effective, and that's why that quote jumped out at me.

    Mike

    (I'll cross post this comment over at your place.)

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 3:48 PM  

  • Mike, I grabbed part of this for my around the blogs section. Attributed and linked of course. I like your take on the issue. Hope you don'y mind.

    By Blogger Cartledge, at 11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home