.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Political bits

All the lefty bloggers are linking to this DNC ad, "Stay the Course," but I found this ad on stem cells that is being targeted to multiple Congressional races far more effective. (Later: Nonplussed2 adds "Answers from a bush" which made me laugh out loud.)

The White House told the media that Bush would be making a "substantial" statement about Iraq at this morning's press conference. Did you see anything "substantial?"

On NPR, Robert Siegel makes Rove angry by challenging his optimism. (PS. Rove only speaks publicly when he's worried.)

Turnout will trump everything, but the latest round of polling seems to show a barely Republican Senate.

Santorum stops running ads?

The Crist is gay rumor makes the papers as a GOP staffer has been telling people at parties that he's had sex with Crist.

And, has anyone seen anything on Hispanic/Latinos voting tendencies after all the anti-immigration stuff earlier this year?

5 Comments:

  • I really dig the "answers from a Bush ad." I have it at nonplussed2.blogspot.com. Short, sweet, funny.

    Maybe it's not new, I don't know.

    By Blogger Nonplussed2, at 7:28 PM  

  • Did you hear Santorum on Morning Edition this morning? Pissy, aggressive, and talking about partition in Iraq, then denying it had anything to do with carving the country up.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:41 PM  

  • nonplussed, I watched that one too a couple of times. Made me laugh. I'll add that and link you.

    Binky, no, I can't watch any of the morning news shows. I see some lighthearted story about a raccoon who can water ski, or a "what you need to know" story, and end up screaming at my TV.

    But, it doesn't surprise me that Santorum is either in an ill mood nor speaking incoherently. He's getting his brains kicked in, and the rumopr is he's out of money, and all that work he did setting up the K street project is now useless because of scandal.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 10:03 PM  

  • The rumors/reports about Crist's sexual orientation are rampant now. I struggled with reporting them some weeks ago, but Literary Tech (read his perceptive comment) put things into perspective for me. I won't try to summarize his remarks -- they should be read in their entirety.

    By Blogger Motherlode, at 11:45 PM  

  • Yeah, You're right, that is a very good discussion of outing. I ran across the rumor awhile back as well, but my conflict was I didn't know if it was true. The rumor has been around for awhile apparently, but at the point I last ran across it, it seemed sort of a "bomb throwing" by a 3rd party candidate.

    My fear wasn't so much that saying outing him was somehow wrong, or an insult, or even had anything to do really with homosexuality, but instead it seemed more designed to chop at his political support, and if it wasn't true, propagating it was wrong on a political level. (I'm not generally a fan of outing.)

    There have been some similar on again off again rumors about my Texas gov, and nothing would make me happier than chopping him down, but at this point, there's just nothing I've found believable enough to use.

    For me, the change now on Crist is that this man has much less reason to lie (although he could be "bragging" to impress people somehow), and more importantly, the race has been tightening up possibly because of this. True or not, this is becoming a political impact.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home