.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Monday, October 16, 2006

The shifting Republican "firewall"

The Republicans sure are talking alot about their "firewall" campaign strategy. Especially since it's already had to be changed.

On Friday, Time Magazine had an article saying they were giving up on Penn., Montana, and Rhode Island, and choosing to try and defend Missouri, Ohio, and Tennessee.

Today, the NYTimes writes of the "firewall," saying that Ohio(Dewine) has been written off, and the three to defend are Missouri, Tennessee, and Virginia.

The GOP burned Dewine like a cross in George Allen's college days.
(On Friday, Allen was thought safe. By Monday he wasn't.)

Also: The "douchebag of liberty" says the Republicans have given up on Rep. Reynolds seat.

5 Comments:

  • They have also given up on Mark Kennedy for U.S. Senate from Minnesota. He's losing to his Dem. rival 59% to 33%. The Republican party has pulled its ad money from his race.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:47 AM  

  • That's true, you're right. I should have added that to the list.

    He was in all the early "firewall" formulations back in the summer.

    As it hasn't looked close for awhile, I haven't really been watching it.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 1:58 PM  

  • Unlikely wildcard race that is beginning to get a teeny bit of Beltway buzz: Pederson v Kyl in AZ. Still exceedingly unlikely takeover, of course--only if the wave is insanely large.

    By Blogger JUSIPER, at 2:52 PM  

  • My fear is that the Republican machine is like an insidious virus: it knows how to kill just enough to bring down the whole system. Rove, Bush and their ilk are a cancer on Democracy... Honest, decent people across the country (progressive, conservative, whatever) need to get to the polls and give this vile form of governance the royal smack down. None of this 1.5% margin crap. I want a sea change shift...

    I want the mental malaise of the American electorate to lift. I want peoples of differing opinions to engage in spirited, honest and respectful debate.

    I don't mind losing, but I'm sick of American voters falling for the sucker punch of the neo-Republican slime machine.

    OK. I'm done ranting... for now. :)

    By Blogger -epm, at 3:31 PM  

  • Sini,

    I saw something on that. In Arizona, the Republican turnout issue is immigration and I don't know how that's playing in that race. My memory is that Kyl is on the Bush plan which might turn off the rabid right.

    EPM,

    I agree with you, but the ultimate prize at stake is the chairmanships, and the investigative/subpoena power that flows from that. If it's 1.5%, I'll take it. It's not the rebuke I'd wish for, but, it would put a brake on, and that's my primary hope.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home