.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Friday, November 03, 2006

Haggard - "I didn't inhale"

Does anybody believe this?
The Rev. Ted Haggard admitted Friday he bought methamphetamine and received a massage from a gay prostitute who claims he was paid for drug-fueled trysts by the former head of the National Association of Evangelicals.

"I bought it for myself but never used it," Haggard told reporters gathered outside his home. "I was tempted, but I never used it."

(Notice the way he slipped the Christian "tempted" in there?
Not his fault. It was the devil.) (video)

Read or listen to the voicemails. Good Morning America led the 7AM hour with this, and aired sections of the voicemails and sections of the original interview.
"Hi Mike, this is Art. Hey, I was just calling to see if we could get any more. Either $100 or $200 supply. And I could pick it up really anytime. I could get it tomorrow or we could wait till next week sometime and so I also wanted to get your address. I could send you some money for inventory but that's probably not working, so if you have it then go ahead and get what you can and I may buzz up there later today,"

Haggard is talking about a "supply" and fronting money so the guy will have an "inventory." He very clearly says "if we could get any more." Does that sound like he bought it once and never used it?

(And, I don't know much about meth, but isn't $100-$200 more than a one time/try it amount?)

As for the "massage," he claims he was referred to Jones by a hotel in Denver. It's really just a question of what kind of "referral" now, isn't it. Many a concierge has gotten rich offering such "referrals." Was he re-referred for three years?

Also: The gay prostitute failed the lie detector...
(Is that a sentence that I'd expected to see this election year?)

8 Comments:

  • Ha that is the best sentence of the year though.

    By Blogger Bravo 2-1, at 1:33 PM  

  • I know it still makes me laugh.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 1:37 PM  

  • So should I be more upset about the curious activities between two consenting adults, or spreading lies and hypocrisy to over 30 million people? Or maybe that this meth user, prostitute lover had direct access to the highest office in the nation?

    By Blogger zen, at 2:18 PM  

  • Um, I'm still laughing, I'm not yet to outrage, but I would go for hypocrisy/bigotry and access to office.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 3:02 PM  

  • So let me get this right...
    It's okay to redefine torture and the Geneva Conventions, but not marriage and sexual conventions?

    By Blogger zen, at 3:19 PM  

  • Did you see the video yesterday of a guy chasing Marylin Musgrave asking whether she would rather save a soldier's life or prevent a gay marriage?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKqvMdMV7hM#].

    (the period's in the address)

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 3:40 PM  

  • Yeah I did.

    Man, the clip where Haggard admits what he's willing to admit, is so damn creepy.

    By Blogger zen, at 3:45 PM  

  • Have you ever seen a populist evangelical leader who wasn't kind of weirdo scary?

    They tend to have these crazy eyes.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home