.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Why do I need to know this now?

A classified report was leaked to the NYTimes showing the Iraq insurgency is "now self-sustaining financially" and outlining the various criminal activities financing the violence. What intrigued me was this description of the sourcing,
A copy of the report was made available to The Times by American officials in Iraq, who said they acted in the belief that the findings could improve American understanding of the challenges facing the United States in Iraq.

American officials. Plural. So is that an official leak/release, but then why is it not declassified? Maybe some lower officials who wanted this out there, but plural? A coordinated leak? Maybe it's the military trying to stave off blame?

How does this "improve" my "understanding of the challenges?"

Somebody is trying to accomplish something specific here targeting this to appear in the Sunday NYTimes, but I don't have a feel for who or what they're trying to accomplish.

It's a ripple in the water, but I can't read it.

Also: I forget where I saw it, but by the time politicians begin positioning for blame, the policy/program has already failed.

Chuck Hagel blasts the Bush doctrine and calls for phased withdrawal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home