.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Bush as Truman as martyr

The White House, and Bush specifically, have been pushing the Truman analogy hard over the last week, and alot of people have been talking about the Durbin exchange, but I think this is the most perceptive analysis.
Bush's wartime role model is President Harry Truman. On Friday he opened a meeting with congressional leaders by noting that Truman's Korean War leadership was scorned late in his presidency, but vindicated by history.

"Mr. Bush, I think, is attracted to the martyrdom of Harry Truman's presidency and the enormous reversal of his status amongst historians 20 years later," said Richard Kohn.

Martyrdom. It fits with his religious philosophy, his inflated sense of "place in history," and recreates him as morally vindicated regardless of any reality. It is a self-serving belief.

I'm try not to put Bush too far "on the couch," and I'm not trying to say that Bush has gone insane, but something about this just horrified me. If Bush really does view his presidency through a Truman/martyr lens, negative changes will only reinforce his "resolve."

And, at this point, who would he listen to to tell him that he's gotten it all wrong?

8 Comments:

  • Ties in w/ his untreated alcoholism too. In fact, he REALLY needs a treatment program. He could get some nice lessons in humility and right-sizing of his ego.

    By Blogger Reality-Based Educator, at 5:14 PM  

  • Agreed. But, it's the same character traits that have kept him out of treatment.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 7:16 PM  

  • Also, Truman wasn't presented with an impeachment resolution, if I remember right.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:37 PM  

  • I think the "untreated alcoholism" is interesting. Isn't the first step in recovery admitting you have a problem? Bush's constant denial of reality, buck passing and blame-anyone-but-me attitude is worthy of serious thought. The martyr thing, upon reflection, applies across the board, not just Iraq. Tie this in with his warped theology where he sees the fact that he is president as affirmation that it is God's will he be president -- and the fact that he has no personal skin in the game (no kids in Iraq and no personal financial insecurity)-- and you have a dangerous combination.

    And look at the way he frequently pulls out the "commander in chief" moniker. He obviously thinks this is some kind of kingly privileged. (Remember the "I'm the decider!" snip?... damn near unhinged, if you ask me.)

    With a Democratic congress, with Republican moderates and old school conservatives in rebellion and an embolden press corp, I can imagine the possibility -- the remote possibility -- of Bush having a public meltdown on camera. His approval ratings are lower than before the midterm elections. The curtain has been drawn back. How long can he continue to be petulant and ramble incoherently in press conferences before his presidency is reduced to a running gag... if we're not there already.

    By Blogger -epm, at 10:02 PM  

  • Local, True. Perhaps that's because he drew us into a war clearly within the law.

    EPM, The martyr analysis just resonated with me for the same reasons. It seems to capture that bizarre sense of "specialness" that he feels.

    And, I don't know how it ends. Just in the last week, the tone has gotten more mocking towards him. I don't know if I see a meltdown, but, I also don't see anyone who could step into bring him back. Not his dad, not anyone in the Republican party that he would listen to. After the election loss, Rove is out. After the foreign policy mess Cheney is out. That's what really scares me about all this.

    Really, the only hope I could see is Laura or maybe his mom, but I don't know if they do that.

    The fact that he's off the rails and there's no one he'll listen to really scares me. I think we're at the most dangerous point in the presidency.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 10:33 PM  

  • Re: Mother Barbara...

    Another interesting angle on top of his martyr complex and untreated alcoholism: his mommy issues (Oedipal?). The old matron Barbara may have the power to sway his actions, but I think she actually supports his inflated self-image. She's more of an enabler than a regulator.

    I don't think Laura has much sway. She might have started his God addiction, but now the addiction is master.

    Of course I have nothing to base this on other than my own warped view through the distorted lens of media and propaganda...

    By Blogger -epm, at 9:55 AM  

  • By Blogger 1111141414, at 4:41 AM  

  • By Blogger raybanoutlet001, at 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home