.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Sunday, January 14, 2007

More spying on Americans

The top story is that the US military has been looking into US coporate and individual financial records using National Security Letters.

That seems to be already garnering alot of coverage, so I thought I might highlight this one, instead.
Deep into an updated Army manual, the deletion of 10 words has left some national security experts wondering whether government lawyers are again asserting the executive branch’s right to wiretap Americans without a court warrant.

The deletion changes the requirement from going through FISA to “or upon attorney general authorization.”

2 Comments:

  • When I was a kid, I remember the disdain conservatives (I assume Republicans) expressed for government poking into our private lives. The fear was often that liberals were poking into our affairs.

    As history has shown us over and over (and from Sophocles to Shakespeare), it is those who fear certain activities who often become the perpetrators.

    By Blogger -epm, at 10:57 AM  

  • I always look at stuff like this the way I look at censorship.

    It's much more appealing when you pick the books to be burned.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home