.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Thursday, January 11, 2007

The White House Defense

After "the new way forward" has been universally panned, (I'm still looking for a single mainstream article in support,) "a senior administration official" gives the White House's final defense for the NYTimes front page: It's the least bad choice.

I'm sure the soldiers in the field will be cheered by this. Nothing so helps morale as hearing that the top war planners are picking the best losing strategy.

(The utterance of this defense is also a sign of just how perilously the Bush administration is feeling the political pressure. Republican Senators Hagel, Murkowski, and Voinovich landed body blows today.

I wonder if they're waiting for a Nixon-esque visit from a small group of respected Republican Senators.)

6 Comments:

  • I wonder if they're waiting for a Nixon-esque visit from a small group of respected Republican Senators.

    Oh, please let it be so...

    By Blogger -epm, at 9:46 PM  

  • I don't mean to imply that it would be a resign visit, but at the same time, it could be the step back/withdrawal visit.

    I think we're getting near that point as Bush is coming close to wrecking the Republican party (and the country) for a decade.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 9:48 PM  

  • I don't think they care much what Hagel says or thinks - but when Murkowski and Brownback are off the ranch, that's a problem.

    I agree w/ the wrecking the GOP idea. If the surge happens and nothing changes in Iraq or things continue to deteriorate, the little group of Republican senators led by Barry Goldwater probably will be visiting Bush at the WH.

    By Blogger Reality-Based Educator, at 5:37 AM  

  • Yeah. I think they're politically cold enough to write off anybody individually, but "the visit," they dread. It would be a watershed in the perception of failure.

    Because of the history, I can't imagine it would be George Sr, so who?

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 6:52 AM  

  • I am hoping merely that a contingent of patriotic Republicans, after finding their own back-bones, would help to put Bush back in his box. I would never expect Bush to resign. Gods don't do that.

    By Blogger -epm, at 9:47 AM  

  • See, I'm less optimistic. I think it will be more about their backsides than backbones. At least withe the ones he'd listen to.


    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home