.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Monday, May 14, 2007

Pakistan gets messier

The NYTimes has a good overview of the Karachi riots and the instability in Pakistan, but it's this article in the Independent that really caught my eye.
Pakistan's government authorised paramilitary troops to shoot anyone involved in serious violence yesterday as the crisis triggered by the dismissal of Pakistan's top judge took an ominous and bloody turn.....

The BBC's correspondent in Karachi said five of those killed on Sunday were kidnapped and executed. One of them was a worker from the pro-Musharraf MQM party. Two more were reportedly tortured and then shot in the head.
.

2 Comments:

  • *shudder*

    Pakistan has been a ticking time bomb for some time. I don't see how this ends well.

    By Blogger -epm, at 9:18 AM  

  • I think the best case outcome would be some sort of powersharing/split government deal between Musharraf and Bhutto, but I don't know if that comes off.

    I've actuall been kind of interested watching the hard Islamist parties staying on the sidelines as this conflict is mostly between Musharraf supporters and the People's Party.

    When I had expected an instability, I had expected it along the Islamicist rift.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home