.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Sunday, September 02, 2007

The "consequential" president

The NYTimes has a pretty odd and worthless article on a series of interviews Bush gave last December for a book, but it does have a few excerptible quotes.
“Self-pity is the worst thing that can happen to a presidency,” Mr. Bush told Mr. Draper, by way of saying he sought to avoid it. “This is a job where you can have a lot of self-pity.”....

In response to Mr. Draper’s observance that Mr. Bush had nobody’s “shoulder to cry on,” the president said: “Of course I do, I’ve got God’s shoulder to cry on, and I cry a lot.” In what Mr. Draper interpreted as a reference to war casualties, Mr. Bush added, “I’ll bet I’ve shed more tears than you can count as president.”....

“I made a decision to lead,” he said, “One, it makes you unpopular; two, it makes people accuse you of unilateral arrogance, and that may be true. But the fundamental question is, is the world better off as a result of your leadership?”
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home