.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Friday, September 14, 2007

North Korea nuclear aid to Syria?

Here we are again with administration officials alleging a North Korean/Syrian nuclear axis.

The original sourcing appears to be Israeli, but I'm not exactly sure why the administration is propagating this thin reed.

Is it a direct effort to pressure Syria/Iran or is it another "rogue" effort within the administration to scupper talks with Syria or perhaps the recent deal with N. Korea?

6 Comments:

  • You said it in your 'Nukes in Syria?' post on the 12th. The important thing is to link Syria/N.Korea/iran/nukes in the public mind.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:47 PM  

  • I definitely agree that it's useful for them to have the new axis of evil associated with the word nuclear, but I don't see a clear goal in this campaign (like the Iranian EFP promotion) so, that's why I'm wondering.

    Why specifically Syria and N. Korea? Because it's an opportunity? To create a broader impression of threat and include Iran through implication? Or is it more specific to derail Syria before the (failing) mideast peace talks, to undermine N. Korea...?

    I just have this feeling that I'm missing some moving element here.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 4:38 PM  

  • I don't think these announcements just come out of the blue. Why now? I just assume somebody is trying to escalate the overall rhetoric and prep the public. I'm sure the US and Israel have plans for Iran and Syria but exactly what, how and when....I dunno.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:07 PM  

  • Yeah. That's why I'm sounding so mystified by the tea leaves.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 9:21 PM  

  • I don't know if you know this blog...

    http://www.joshualandis.com/blog/

    I find it an excellent source of information on Syria.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:48 PM  

  • Cool. I'll take a look tomorrow.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home