.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Picture of the Day


Everybody's starting to talk about Edwards again.

(John Edwards hugs his wife, Elizabeth, prior to speaking at a town hall gathering in Lebanon, N.H., Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2007.(AP Photo/Toby Talbot))

The most compelling part of the Edwards argument is that the rural areas are significantly overrepresented in the caucus system.

(The real decider, though, will likely be the "second choice" of the smaller candidates' supporters. Who do the Richardson voters break for? Biden?)

After Iowa, I figure that Obama and Edwards voters will tend to break towards each other if one appears out of the race.

Maybe not so much anti-Clinton as "change." Her "inevitability" efforts had the byproduct of making her seem more establishment.

3 Comments:

  • I'm leaning towards Edwards. I like his progressive, working class American focus and willingness to call BS when he sees it. Maybe it's because I'm looking for someone to take the bull by the horns and shake things up.

    Now with regard to Hillary. I was talking to my wife and some of her friends about the candidates and I noticed something: these women seemed to transfer all their frustrations as women in a man's world onto Hillary. They give her a pass on a lot of stuff "because she's trying to make it in a man's world." However, these women are all middle aged (mid-forties and older). I'm not hearing the same thing from younger women... my daughters, for example. Interesting.

    It mad me think back to the OJ Simpson trial and how it was postulated that -- despite the facts of the case -- OJ came to represent all the racially profiled and railroaded black man at the hands of the LAPD, in the minds' of the black jurors. Similarly, among some group of women, this is what Hillary is to them.

    By Blogger -epm, at 12:51 PM  

  • Again, I see strengths in all three frontrunning Dems. I will probably not face a choicemaking moment until after the thing's already decided.

    As to your Hillary observation, I wonder how much of it is "giving a pass" and how much is just a different understanding/perception earned through experience?

    No answer, just thinking out loud.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 1:28 PM  

  • I know that my own mother (who's now 68 yrs old) always had a "vote for women first, then vote for democrats" approach to the ballot box. I think it's true that women in my generation (in our thirties and younger) see gender as less relevant.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home