.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Monday, February 25, 2008

A Step Too Far

I've been getting angrier and angrier about this Obama photo thing all day, but it wasn't until this that I went over the top.
"I know nothing about it," Clinton told ABC affiliate WFAA. "This is in the public domain. But let's just stop and ask yourself: 'Why are you -- why is anybody concerned about this?'"

Why? Why? Because after your campaign tried to float drug allegations, after your campaign, including your husband, tried to use racism as a lever on his own party, now somebody in your campaign has been pushing this photo around with the clear intent of trying to slime Obama with the blatantly false, right wing driven Muslim smear!!!

Look, you can try and argue that Clinton or the campaign officials knew nothing about it, but by their response, that doesn't matter. They could have denounced this, but instead they're playing this cute little game. They're not even carrying out the pretense of pretending to find out who did it.
But he stopped short of denying whether a Clinton aide may have passed it to the DrudgeReport. I'm not in a position to ask 700 people to come in," said Wolfson.

The Clinton campaign has used race, sex, and now religion in this campaign and they're still losing. (Top Clinton officials are trying to push the Weathermen story, too.)

This needs to end soon.

Later: I calmed down a little overnight. The amazing thing is, I was actually praising the Clinton camp over the weekend for their effective attack (Clinton finally finds a good attack footing.)

The question was whether they would "hit and get out" or whether they would push it too hard and go too far. Guess which I think happened.

And, it doesn't matter that it started on Drudge. My issue is the way the Clinton campaign handled it. I barely mentioned the thing yesterday morning, but the way they jumped on it that pissed me off.

7 Comments:

  • And somewhere, Matt Drudge is laughing his ass off.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:06 AM  

  • I really think the Obama campaign could have played this better. They (he) could have talked about how his EXPERIENCE and PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE of of other cultures; particularly non-Western. Instead their response was 100% indignation and, it seemed to me, an attempt to distance Obama from what could have been spun as a strength.

    By Blogger -epm, at 7:07 AM  

  • TG, Because he's the one who made all the comments in the Clinton camp yesterday?

    Look, I started off not even blogging this thing yesterday morning because I figured it was just somebody in the campaign frustrated. It wasn't until the Clinton camp started trying to use it that I got pissed.

    Even if the whole thing was a drudge setup, the Clinton camp gleefully embraced it.

    ....

    EPM, Actually, I think they played it pretty well. They made the mistake of starting out "outraged" but slowly through the day backed down to "act of a desperate campaign."

    If he'd engaged it, they would have made it an issue.

    I have a hunch this will blowback on Clinton far worse.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 7:13 AM  

  • I didn't pick up on the Obama campaign's evolution from outrage to "tsk,tsk. there they go again." I wasn't following this except on NPR snippets and that really didn't come across.

    By Blogger -epm, at 7:19 AM  

  • Actually, it wasn't tsk, tsk.

    It was "HOW COUD THEY!!!!" shifting to "this is the act of a desperate campaign."

    I didn't blog the evolution tht much because when it started, I didn't think it was that big a deal.

    I figured it would be a flutter in the day and everyone would move on.

    Until the Clinton campaign picked it up.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 7:30 AM  

  • Actually I think it matters a lot that it started on Drudge.

    Because:

    a) given that it's Drudge, there's no guarantee whatever that the sourcing is accurate, i.e., that it came from the Clinton camp

    b) given that it's Drudge, no Democratic voter in his/her right mind should pay any attention to it

    c) given that it's Drudge, there's every possibility he did it for the sole purpose of f***ing up Hillary or Obama or both.

    With those things in mind, I can easily see why the Clinton camp would treat it as not worthy of serious consideration.

    And, bottom line, it seems to me the criticism against the Clinton camp boils down to "they weren't as outraged as they should have been." That just doesn't seem like such a huge sin to me. The Obama camp's level of outrage is really only appropriate if you assume that the Clinton camp was behind the release of the photo at a high level.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:34 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home