.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Another update

My power is back up, but I'm no sure how long. Family's fine. Frankly, everyone's in remarkably good spirits (maybe because it's not too hot.)

For the broader audience, here's my main lesson so far.

Michael Chertoff will blame anyone else for anything. Nothing is ever his fault. He's dealing blame on the locals as hard as he can.

We're starting to see some stores open, although it's all stuff that was on the shelf pre-Friday. Power's coming back spotty but consistently. I actually saw some restaurants open tonight.

But, new supplies haven't really started to flow in. Limited gasoline, but it's there if you want to wait an hour. No ice, no bottled water where I am, but understand I'm a good 50 miles inland. It sounds like they're not getting it further down south yet either, though.

Chertoff is blaming local officials for ice, water, and emergency food distribution, although that claim seems a little dubious. (See above.)

We're expecting to see more supplies coming in over the next day or two into stores, and everybody seems pretty calm and seems to be taking it pretty much in stride up here in Houston proper, but I'm not really wired into the emergency supply distribution down south where things were so much worse.

(And apparently, because I'm on the subgrid with the police station, I'm a power priority, so family and friends, check back here.

I'll probably be able to post updates somewhat regularly. Parent's and Catherine's phones are down. Their mobile phones work, but they're trying to save the batteries. Feel free to call me. My phone is fine.)

So, I'm doing well, family's doing well, neighbors are doing well.

Just an update.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home