.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Saturday, September 27, 2008

McCain and gambling

I haven't really plowed through this massive NYTimes piece on McCain and his relations with the gambling industry, but I did find this interesting about his pursuit of Abramoff.
For McCain-connected lobbyists who were rivals of Mr. Abramoff, the scandal presented a chance to crush a competitor. For senior McCain advisers, the inquiry allowed them to collect fees from the very Indians that Mr. Abramoff had ripped off. And the investigation enabled Mr. McCain to confront political enemies who helped defeat him in his 2000 presidential run while polishing his maverick image.
.

3 Comments:

  • I knew about McCain's involvement in the Keating 5 scandal, and I knew about his staff of lobbyists but, until this piece in the NYT, I wasn't clued in to his connections to the gambling industry. I'm floored.

    How is anyone taking him seriously as a presidential contender?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:52 PM  

  • Well, I didn't know the depth, but I knew he'd played a big role in Indian gaming, which, with his ability to decide who gets it and who doesn't, gave him a huge fundraising potential.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 9:22 PM  

  • It's sad to see how gambling can make a politican turn to corruption.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home