.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Obama turning up the attacks

Obama attacks Bush on the troop (non) withdrawal from Iraq, "slams" McCain over education (with an accompanying ad,) continues to hammer on the Palin "Bridge to Nowhere" lie and broadly tries to damage the McCain claims of "Maverick."

(And Biden is kinda hitting an "out of touch," just rhetoric angle.)

Two ways to read this. 1) A planned post convention "anti bounce" effort to turn the narrative into contrasts on issues, or 2) A reaction to the polling. (Could be either or some of both.)

Bottom line, the Obama campaign is shifting. Pay attention.

3 Comments:

  • I think you have to run a different campaign during the general than you do in the primary. Obama said as much during the primaries when he showed deference to Hillary but specifically said, "believe me, I won't feel so restrained in my criticism against the Republican nominee."

    By Blogger -epm, at 2:40 PM  

  • I think the Obama camp is going after the "maverick" label indirectly as they tie him to GWB and the Republican track record. However, I think they can successfully make the "maverick" label a negative by saying the last thing we need is more maverick, shoot from the hip, leadership. That's how we got into this situation in the first place.

    By Blogger -epm, at 2:48 PM  

  • That's why I put the pre-planned option first in my list.

    That's certainly my guess, especially as the Obama campaign has never shown any signs of reacting off plan. Even when Wright blew up, they took their time, built a week long strategy, and stuck to it.

    But, pending further data, I wanted to hang that second reactive option out there because it is a possibility.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home