.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

One more thought on the NYTimes Obama fundraising story

For some reason, it feels to me like the Obama fundraising story is a plant. Let's look at the mechanics, an appeal to the worries of Obama small donors, an appeal to the much more on board, but still not very deeply tapped Clinton supporters, all timed right at the peak moment of "Obama fret" when McCain comes out of his convention at a short term polling peak.

I mean, if you read the article,
A spokesman said that August was its best fund-raising month yet and that the campaign’s fund-raising was on track.

That means, what, probably at least $60 million? Are they trying to juice the fundraising before they announce an even bigger number that might make the small donors less likely to donate?

I don't know, but the more I look at this piece, the more it seems like a planted story for some reason..... but I could well be wrong.

4 Comments:

  • Crystal balls and tea leaves... the stuff of political prognostication.

    Your arguments on timing and plant make some sense. Especially the timing.

    By Blogger -epm, at 8:45 AM  

  • But, then again, I could be completely wrong.

    I think the thing that seems most suspicious to me is that there doesn't appear to be any real sourcing. No "anonymous campaign officials complain," no apparent dissenters saying this is how we should do it, or anything like that. All the statements seem to be coming from the campaign voice itself.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 10:08 AM  

  • Up to now I haven't noticed the Obama campaign make any huge missteps. I've only seen a large organization proceeding according to a plan, with some minor gaffes along the way.

    Is there any reason now to assume that the end of the plan has been reached, and that the campaign has lost its way? Very doubtful.

    I imagine that the effort is being made to take focus off Ms. Palin.

    By Blogger r8r, at 1:22 PM  

  • r8r, frankly, that's where I am.

    The fact that we're not really hearing anyone holler tells me that there isn't any appreciable dissent in the organization which probably means the "fret level" is pretty low.

    Regardless of where the polling is today, both campaigns seem to kinda have the stance that Obama is winning. You know what I mean?

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home