.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Palin v McCain (Updated)

Palin spent minutes at her Florida appearance today in this kinda weird rebuttal to the "wardrobe" story, but what really caught me was the internal politics of this.

I would assume that, 9 days out, the McCain campaign wouldn't have wanted another day's message to be eaten up by this story, but there's Palin again, off message for her own purposes.

Also, it's very clear that what she's saying is not in the prepared remarks. She went into this of her own initiative, off script. (I imagine aides freaking out backstage.)

(I don't know why I'm finding this fracture so fascinating.

It's kinda like if My Fair Lady ended like Frankenstein.

They lifted Eliza Doolittle up, only to have her later go rampaging across the countryside out of their control.)

Later: Like I said, way off script.
Ensuring that news of the Republican National Committee's sartorial spending spree will remain in the headlines for at least one more news cycle.....

A senior adviser to John McCain told CNN's Dana Bash that the comments about her wardrobe "were not the remarks we sent to her plane this morning."
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home