.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

No fuzzy lensed retrospectives yet.....

I'm still watching to see how the media covers Bush leaving office. For months I've been wondering just how fuzzy and warm the retrospectives would be for a president with a 28% approval rating.

One of the interesting elements of this battle is how the efforts by the administration to rewrite its history seem to be creating an opposite, fact checking response (like in this Politico piece.)

I have been really expecting to see the images of Bush standing on the rubble of the World Trade Center with the talking heads gushing about his "leadership moment." (The day of skipping around the country on Air Force One making shaky statements forgotten. ...or My Pet Goat.)

Thus far, the departure softening hasn't materialized yet, and I have to admit, I'm a little surprised. I'm still watching, though.....

(A real retrospective would be far less kind, and I haven't seen that yet either.)

2 Comments:

  • I'm sorta anticipating the SNL retrospective, and the Daily Show version, complete with violins and 'heartwarming' visuals...

    By Blogger r8r, at 9:35 AM  

  • I actually hadn't thought about those. I'll bet the Daily Show one will be wonderfully wistful, "to a man who has given us so much...."

    And Colbert will probably be good, too.

    Here, I was writing about the CBS type....

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home