.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

A force of nature

The US says it intends to increase the drone attacks into Pakistan despite the concerns of the Pakistani government.

But, what caught me was the re-expression of this position.
On Sunday, a senior Taliban leader vowed to unleash two suicide attacks a week like one on Saturday in Pakistan’s capital, Islamabad, unless the Central Intelligence Agency stopped firing missiles at militants. Pakistani officials have expressed concerns that the missile strikes from remotely piloted aircraft fuel more violence in the country, and some American officials say they are also concerned about some aspects of the drone strikes.


I refer again to my Sunday post on this crazy logic. Mehsud is effectively saying that his attacks are like a force of nature, a response beyond control. The only way to stop HIS attacks is to change policy.

This is terrorism 101.... and it's working.

5 Comments:

  • Isn't this the same argument used by the right-wing here in the US?

    By Blogger -epm, at 8:43 AM  

  • I don't know. It's pretty different when you're carrying out a couple of multiple casualty bombings against your countrymen.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 10:32 AM  

  • In degree, sure. But the underlying premise of "they made me a revolutionary (extremist)" is there. And I guess I'm still thinking of the Pittsburgh shootings and some of the over-the-top wingnut rhetoric.

    By Blogger -epm, at 10:52 AM  

  • Yeah, you're putting a very wide bandwidth in the furthest slot.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 1:00 PM  

  • Ok. I yield the point and agree I overreached.

    By Blogger -epm, at 1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home