.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Quote of the Day

On Utah Gov. Huntsman's rumored appointment as China ambassador.
Now, the GOP is without a prominent moderate voice heading into 2012.


PS. Despite what many on the center and left are saying, that Huntsman is pulling off the presidential track because he's afraid he's too moderate to win, I think there's an uglier answer. I think Huntsman has looked at the polling and realized he's too Mormon to win in the GOP's south.

We all saw what happened to Mitt.

4 Comments:

  • Good point. I wonder what impact the high profile Glenn Beck is getting on Fox News will have. He's Mormon and quickly becoming a favorite of the far right.

    I can see a lot of people who didn't like Mitt deciding maybe Mormons aren't so bad after all.

    By Blogger Patrick, at 8:50 AM  

  • Really. Beck is a Mormon?

    As for the level of discrimination, I don't know. I don't think it's absolute throughout most opf the party, but primary voters are further right.

    Plus, there are was to leverage a softer bigotry to characterize someone in the negative.

    It's just such a bigger hurdle when x % of the primary base will never vote for you, and another x% are liable to be leveraged against you.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 10:51 AM  

  • I agree Huntsman has little chance at the nomination. I just think it is less because of his religion than his position on core issues.

    If Glenn Beck's popularity makes people a little more tolerant of Mormons, it is likely to help Romney more than Huntsman.

    By Blogger Patrick, at 11:00 AM  

  • Gotcha. I tend to agree in essence, but I think his religion would be used by those against his policy positions, you know?

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home