.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Monday, July 13, 2009

Observation

I find it funny that a group of all white, all male privileged Republican Senators, most of which come from states with nationally known racial incidents in their past are worried that Sotomayor might have some kind of influence.

(The seven Republicans come from Alabama, South Carolina, Texas, Oklahoma, and Arizona, plus the lily whites Utah and Iowa.)

Yeah. America's problems with racism definitely rest with Sonia Sotomayor.

3 Comments:

  • Drawing a far too sharp and unfair an analogy, it's like the captains of a slave ship being incredulous of the slave's claim to having a unique perspective on the journey. "After all," the captains say "we're ALL on the same ship!"

    I apologize for the crudeness of my analogy. But I think it makes my point.

    By Blogger -epm, at 1:09 PM  

  • Yeah. I get ya.

    I just wanted to make the point that Sessions, Graham, Cornyn, Kyl, and Coburn, probably wouldn't be in office if they had really stood up to the soft racism in their states of the level they're accusing Sotomayor.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 2:42 PM  

  • Well, that and I think many (most?) of them have a sincere blind spot when it comes to recognizing the unique history and challenges of many non-white Americans... Or indeed, anyone not of their privileged class.

    Call it an empathy gap.

    By Blogger -epm, at 2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home