.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Friday, July 03, 2009

Sarah Palin resigns?!?!?!?

I try to take one freakin' day off, and Sarah Palin resigns!

I haven't had time to dig into it yet, but my first reaction is that something's fishy. Maybe some scandal, some investigation coming down the pipe.....

I mean, why not just serve out your term? And why release this bombshell on a holiday weekend, Friday off, tomorrow being the 4th. That's the best news dump ever unless you're willing to kill Michael Jackson.

There's something else here. You know the blogging hounds are running like crazy right now.

I'll check back in later, hopefully with more...

(Hey, maybe we'll get a press conference with a shamed and dejected husband for one...)

Later: Andrea Mitchell has the most flattering "to spend more time with her family" article ever.

Later: Read the statement. She's quitting because she doesn't want to not work hard as a lame duck. (No rule says she can't work hard as lame duck.)
And so as I thought about this announcement that I wouldn't run for re-election and what it means for Alaska, I thought about how much fun some governors have as lame ducks... travel around the state, to the Lower 48 (maybe), overseas on international trade - as so many politicians do. And then I thought - that's what's wrong - many just accept that lame duck status, hit the road, draw the paycheck, and "milk it". I'm not putting Alaska through that - I promised efficiencies and effectiveness! ? That's not how I am wired. I am not wired to operate under the same old "politics as usual." I promised that four years ago - and I meant it.


Later
: So it's either President or scandal. (If it was the FoxNews host, you'd think they would want her to serve out her term rather than just appearing to sell out.)

And, if it's a move for Presidential ambitions, don't you think her camp's statements and the rollout would be a little smoother? (Plus, do you really think you can run with "quitter" on your resume?)

This might be scandal, and it might not, but it does have the feeling of something decided on suddenly.

One more: I watched her all of her announcement. In the first section, I was convinced she was hinting at 2012, and then she started rambling semi coherently which seemed insecure and made me wonder.

Who doesn't pre-write a statement on something this major? If it's planned with any advance. (And a planned announcement would have proxies out there pushing positive spin, not surprised allies speculating across the spectrum.)

And, she doesn't take questions?

8 Comments:

  • People are looking for sense from this, but Palin has never made sense before, why would she start now?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:28 PM  

  • I agree. Pailin operates in an alternate reality bordering on a cult. It's the "blame everyone else" crowd. The paranoid and anti-reason crowd. The "Real America" crowd. The just make shit up out of whole cloth to promote your agenda crowd.

    It kills me that the lady who accused her political opponent of "palling around with terrorists" now bemoans the "politics of personal destruction."

    By Blogger -epm, at 9:51 PM  

  • Ron, I get that. The lack of planning may just be her way.

    With a normal politician, a very sudden, very major move has some root cause. That may not be the case here.

    ......

    And, EPM, In one paragraph you claim that she's soulless and will say anything. In the next paragraph, you're amazed she will say anything.

    Just thoought it was funny.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 10:53 PM  

  • I'm waiting for her to announce that she is having an affair

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:31 AM  

  • Yeah. I wonder if Todd would have to stand on the stage dejected and shamed.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 6:19 AM  

  • An affair would be great. Preferably with Marc Sanford or Michael Jackson's doctor.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:08 PM  

  • People's reactions to this are almost as interesting at the event itself. Mary Matalin had finally, after long efforts at it, earned my total disrespect. "Brilliant"--How deluded can on be?
    I'm one who often thinks of drugs when I see such behavior and Gov. Palin's spoke uppers to me. Maybe she is better friends with her in-laws than she lets on.
    But considering our glimpses of her personality, I'd say it's nothing to do with her family needing her (not that she even thought to say that), no illness, and probably no long-range plan. I'm putting my bets on a scandal that threatens her personally and legally, probably the house-building one.
    It gives us something to offset the doldrums of summer, though, watching all the bizarre behavior of our public figures.
    MC

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:19 PM  

  • I don't think it will be feasible for her to re-enter the political scene if that's what she's planning on doing in a few years.

    By Anonymous Bowler, at 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home