.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Quote

John McCain nears his breaking point on Palin-palooza.
"There's been a lot of dust flying around in the last few days and I just wanted to mention that I have the highest regard for Steve Schmidt and Nicolle Wallace and the rest of the team ... and I appreciated all the hard work and everything they did to help the campaign," he said.

"I think it's just time to move on," he said.


And, when questioned on Palin, I've got to admit I'm intrigued by the use of the word "still."
"I'm still really proud of her and the campaign she ran and I think it's pretty obvious that she has a substantial base and interest out there," McCain said.
.

6 Comments:

  • McCain STILL tries to have things both ways...

    By Blogger -epm, at 7:39 AM  

  • Well, a complete siding would require an admission that picking her was a HUGE mistake, and would highlight that his "seat of the pants-ness" is actually a huge personal flaw.

    I don't ever expect him to admit to that as it would destroy his highly cherished self identity.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 8:09 AM  

  • No, I understand that. I suppose on this issue he's kind of hamstrung in what he can say. Maybe Palin will push her historical revisionist victimology to a point were he'll have to chose sides: Palin vs. the entire rest of the campaign.

    Re-reading the second quote snippet, McCain is trying to tie his "pride" to the campaign. He actually distances himself from her presently when he says she has a significant base of interest "out there."

    By Blogger -epm, at 8:44 AM  

  • Right. His language is very telling.

    I think he started regretting the choice about the time they had to do the Bristols' baby thing, and reports were coming back to him about her shopping sprees.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 12:42 PM  

  • I don't know when he began to regret the choice. My gut feeling is that it was soon after the selection. The Bristol-baby thing? When he realized Hillary supporters weren't lining up simply because his VP pick had a uterus? Dunno.

    McCain was really thrashing about during the end game, swinging at one wild pitch after another. I'm guessing this was little more than a knee-jerk decision. Followed by "Oh, crap" within 48 hrs.

    By Blogger -epm, at 1:58 PM  

  • Yeah. That's my hunch, too. He felt like he was behind and took the gamble. At worst, he figured he'd still lose.

    However, I gotta say, nobody estimated this outcome.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home